There are amazing things happening on campus at Southern Miss. We are excitedly awaiting the final stages of construction of our brand new space for the Karnes Center. While we wait, we are celebrating all the good things that are to come and all the good things that make up our past.
Dr. Frances A. Karnes established the Center for Gifted Studies in 1979. We have been striving to serve the needs of gifted and talented students from all backgrounds for the past 43 years.
Our efforts and offerings include:
- 2 Day programs in the summer featuring engaging, advanced curriculum for students with intellectual and academic gifts and talents
- 2 one-week long residential programs for students with academic, intellectual, or leadership gifts and talents
- 1 two-week long residential program for students with academic talents
- 2 month-long Saturday programs during the winter months for students with intellectual or academic gifts
- A parenting workshop series hosted in the winter months
- The Fall Day of Sharing for Teachers
- The Gifted Education Strand at the Making Connections Conference each spring
And there is more on the way! We cannot make an official announcement just yet, but be on the lookout for advanced levels of Professional Development, new ways to partner with us while working at your school, and year-round, online offerings for teachers and students.
None of these things would be possible without the original vision and mentorship of our dear Dr. Karnes. Her ability to find the gift in everyone she meets, and her desire to push each person to their own potential set the tone for the Center that now bears her name. Each and every day we seek opportunities to help students discover their gifts and reach their potential. Thank you, Dr. Karnes, for leading the way. We are grateful for your leadership and wish you the best birthday ever!