Please view the following video by our director, Dr. Heather Houston, for the latest updates on the summer programs offered by the Karnes Center this Summer.
Please allow a few days for updates reflecting these changes to be made to our registration site. Our registration site with CampDoc and the DocNetwork company may be found at: http://app.campdoc.com/register/fakcgs.
Program pricing has been adjusted to reflect the move to the virtual environment. Reductions are primarily derived from the cost of housing and food services for our traditionally residential programs. Therefore, some programs will not see as great a reduction as others. The price of all programs still includes the cost of all materials your child will need to successfully complete the program. This year that does include providing your child with a “program in a box” that will be shipped directly to your home. Please insure that when you register, you are providing the best address for that package to be safely received.
In addition to the non-refundable registration fee of $30.00, program costs will be as follows:
- Day Program for Young Gifted Children: $175.00
- Summer Gifted Studies Program: $400.00
- Leadership Studies Program: $400.00
- Summer Program for Academically Talented Youth: $1700.00
Scholarship applications will be available for the Summer Gifted, Leadership, and Academically Talented Youth Programs through the registration site this year. As always, scholarships are primarily need based and will be provided on a first come, first served basis. If funds remain after all need based applications have been filled, any remaining amounts may be awarded based on merit.
Eligibility requirements for programs will be adjusted to reflect the changes in intellectual and academic testing due to school and testing site closures as follows:
- Day Program Eligibility: Students may prove eligibility with a letter of recommendation from a pre-school, day-care, faith-based organization, or community organization teacher. (For example: a Sunday-school teacher or a guitar teacher.)
- Summer Gifted Studies Eligibility: Open to students who have just completed one or more of the following grades: 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th grades. Students may provide a letter of recommendation from a general education teacher, or the most recent report card indicating grades equal to or above an average of 90 or better in one or more of the following: English/Reading, Math, Science, or Social Studies/History. NWEA-MAP scores for Fall or Winter of the just completed school year are also acceptable and must be at or above the 90th percentile.
- Leadership Studies Program: Open to students who have completed one or more of the following grades: 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th grades. Any student wishing to learn about leadership and apply their learning toward improving their community is eligible to attend.
- Summer Program for Academically Talented Youth: Open to Academically advanced students who have completed one or more of the following grades: 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th grades. Eligibility for this program is based on academic prowess in a major subject area: English, Math, Science, Social Studies, etc. through consistently high achievement at or above the 90th percentile. Normally an ACT or SAT score would be required; however, report cards, teacher recommendations, and evidence of scholastic achievement may be presented in evidence of eligibility as well this year.
As usual, if a student has attended a program in the past, they are still eligible to attend that program again. If a child is transitioning to a new program, please let us know that they have attended other programs with us before so that we can review the records we already have to determine eligibility based on those records.
Please allow a few days for the registration site to reflect these changes. If you have any questions regarding eligibility, you may email the Center staff at firstname.lastname@example.org.