The Frances A. Karnes Center for Gifted Studies is seeking students in two categories and needs your recommendations.
Legislators and school administrators are invited to select one 8th grade student to participate in the Leadership Studies Program and one 10th grade student to participate in the Summer Program for Academically and Artistically Talented Youth.
How can your schools participate?
- Read the suggestions for recommending a student for each program.
- Make your selection.
- Complete the recommendation form (link below).
- Sign and provide the student with the recommendation letter sent to you by our director.
- Stay connected with the student’s caregivers throughout the recommendation and application processes.
- At your annual awards program, present the student with the certificate we provide.
What to look for in a candidate for the Leadership Studies Program:
- Select one 8th Grade student from each school in your district.
- Keep an open mind, the leaders to recommend are not necessarily your best students or those who already have positions as officers in school organizations, though they could be.
- Is there a student with considerable potential that needs encouragement to step out of their comfort zone?
- Leadership gifts ARE NOT the same as intellectual or academic gifts – there is NO IQ requirement for the Leadership Studies Program.
- Leadership gifts include skills like influence, logical thinking, conflict resolution, and servanthood.
What to look for in a candidate for the Summer Program for Academically and Artistically Talented Youth:
Select one 10th grade student from each school in your district who meets at least ONE of the following requirements:
- Academically Talented:
- 90th Percentile or above on any major area of a nationally normed test of Academic Achievement such as: SAT, ACT, NWEAMAP, Stanford 10, or any of those suggested by CollegeBoard.org,
- Consistently scored Advanced on at least one area of a state testing program (at least 3 of the last 5 years in which tests were administered), or
- Grades within the top 5 percent of at least one of their academic courses.
- Artistically Talented:
- Students who have a potential for or demonstrated talent in visual or performing arts.
- Students in this category must submit a portfolio along with their application to the program.
Keep an open mind; use any of these to help a student qualify. Only one is required – having one, but not another should NOT disqualify a student from your consideration.
Is there a student with considerable potential that needs encouragement to step out of their comfort zone?
Is there a student who would be the first in their family to attend college?
Completing the Recommendation Form
The rest is easy. Simply click here to fill out the recommendation form. Our director, Dr. Houston, will contact you to confirm your recommendation and provide the student’s congratulatory letter and other materials.
Want to speak to Dr. Houston before filling out the form?
Click here to set an appointment with Dr. Houston.
Important information about recommendations:
- Awards Certificates will only be provided for students who complete the application process and commit to attending the programs in June.
- Discounts and Scholarships are not provided as cash awards to students or their families, but are applied to the balance owed on a student’s account.